Monday 23 January 2012

Stash Diet Review: Malabrigo Sock

You can't be a knitter in this day without hearing of Malabrigo eventually.  "MMMMMMalabrigo"  It really is everything the hype makes it out to be.
I was quite late to the Malabrigo game, and bought my first skein (Rayon Vert, below) of Malabrigo Sock in 2011.  I picked it up while at The Yarn Cake in Glasgow one evening and had some money burning a hole.  The Ravelry Red I bought while at Penelope Craft in Amsterdam last summer, and since I love red it was a very obvious must-buy!  The colourways Malabrigo come in are gorgeous, the colours I have seen have been so saturated, it does make me wonder how much the dye will bleed when being washed! ;D
I can't honestly say these will become socks.  The yarn feels so soft, I can't imagine it not pilling and felting really really easily, not to mention the fact there is no nylon and it is 100% Merino.  They also seem to my inexperienced eye to be on the looser scale of plied for sock yarn, but I could be way off base with that.  It really is very very soft, and would be amazing knit up as a shawl or fingerless gloves, but even the gloves might pill badly.
The two colourways I own I fell in love with as soon as I saw them.  I love the way the purples are highlighted by green in Rayon Vert.  The Ravelry Red is just sensational, a real treat for lovers of red everywhere.
I do have projects planned for these.  Honest!  They will both become triangular shawls at some point in the future, but I do not have any specific pattern in mind for them.  I must confess though, being a variegated yarn not-love-just-like-er, Rayon Vert has me worried!  This is my main problem with variegated yarns - I love how they look skeined up, but I hate the randomness of it when it has been knit up, so I may actually crochet a shawl with Rayon Very!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...