Monday 9 June 2008

Presto Chango... it's done!

I finally got round to finishing the front panel (I say finally, but it only took me a week in total to complete... a record time in my books!!). Almost had a disaster when I lost a button - which, by the way, still has not been found - but I found one on Js suit, which was a perfect match!

I'm still incredibly disappointed it doesn't fit, but to help ease the pain I ordered some Wool-ease last night in Avocado, so I can have a go at knitting the right size. May have also ordered some in Cocoa too, so might make a stripy one!

Presto Chango by Valerie Wallis


Materials: Lion Brand Cotton-Ease in Natural, 1 ball, purchased at Banyan Tree Yarns, 8 buttons.

Size: 6 months.

Needles: 5 mm.

Started: May 29th 2008 Finished: June 7th 2008

I really do love this pattern. It's simple, but not so much that I abandon it half way through. I messed up a couple of times, as is my style, but I was at the point where I didn't care since it's not going to be leaving this house! The front panel was so easy to knit, and could be customised into any design you wanted.

I will knit this again in the future, and in the correct size this time! I'm not a huge fan of the cotton ease, I must admit. It just felt to squeeky on the needles, and kept sticking or sliding off. I doubt I'll be knitting with it again in the future, other than to knit up the last ball I have!

In this mornings post I received a gift from a friend in Colorado (Hi Emily!!). We've been treatening to send each other our respective gifts for going on 2 months now, and I've still not mailed mine!! Anyway, in the package was this:

Bliss Ranch Wool Merino... So soft, so smooth, so... just, so. I got 150 yards of this pure beauty, and I'm already thinking about what to knit with it. I'm thinking fingerless gloves, or a hat, but they really seem to just be too 'blah' to do this yarn justice! So I will mull it over, knit some more things in the mean-time, and one day it may just pop into my head!

I'm also almost finished the Dream in Color shrug! I've been knitting a few rows here and there (being a full time mum and housewife means I get 2 hours knitting time a day, if that!) and it is coming on nicely. I'd guess I have about 60 rows left to do before seaming up the arms and starting the ribbing round the body. I can't wait for this to be done!

Over the weekend we had Js parents here, at the same time. Being divorced for going on 30 years, they don't see each other often, and the last time J witnessed them in the same room was at least 15 years ago!! He had been having nightmares of them not getting on and having to throw someone out, but nothing of the sort happened. Everything was very pleasant, and we had a lovely weekend. On Saturday we relaxed in the house, putting up DVD shelves J Snr bought us... this in turn enabled us to get an accurate count of our DVDs, and at 435 it is a scary number. Not as scary as the 1100 CDs we have, but still....

On Sunday we went to Lewes for some lunch and a wander round the castle. It is a pretty town, and the castle is nice, but nothing compared to what I've seen back home. Do you think there will ever be a time where I move my heart and soul away from Scotland, and no longer call it home?

The one thing that annoys me about Js family is the fact they speak Dutch. They can speak english, but very often will slip into Dutch and not notice (or do notice and dont care... I hope not!). It'll be easier when I do learn Dutch, as is the plan. That way we can converse with Oliver and Dutch, and life will be easier all round. But what J doesnt seem to understand is the fact I dont have time to learn a new language right now, so telling me it'll be easier when I do doesn't help matters at all. I would understand if they couldn't speak English, but they can. It's not fluent, but it's better than my Dutch!

Only 2 more weekends of J's parents visiting then we have a weekend free, though my mum and her friend may come visit. Not sure yet. I can't wait until we have a weekend where we have nothing to do!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...