Thursday 14 July 2011

Business as usual.... but not!

The last 2 days have been very very surreal.

Yesterday passed in a blur - between packing for our holiday on Sunday, writing lists of things that I need  to pack on Saturday night, printing off documents, maps, tickets, organising my knitting for the holiday, I forgot we were going out last night!  Luckily, Jitte was more on the ball than me, and we left at 4.30 on the dot.

< musicgeekout >

OH MY FUCKING GOD!

I didn't have high hopes for the show - I'm not a huge fan of their recent stuff, and think they're missing some very key members of the band that just can't be easily replaced.  I was correct.  They are seriously missing a good organ player, and while their lead guitarist is an excellent guitar player, his tone is way too clean and tight to be playing with The Black Crowes - they need someone who plays a bit looser and a bit 'dirtier'.  It's been the problem with the last couple of lead guitarists they have, they make it all sound too clean.  However, Luther Dickinson sounds very obviously 'on top' of the other instruments, and it was  particularly noticeable when he was splaying slide, he just didn't blend in with the sound.  Could be bad mixing, but it's a criticism I've heard over and over again.

Despite that, to my utter surprise, I was awed by Rich Robinson.  He has always been a good solid rhythm guitar player, but last night some of his solos were outstanding.  On the jams they did on a couple of songs, he shone.  I think I'm in love.


The setlist looks pretty average, from a fan-geek point of view, but this is a perfect example of never judging a book by it's cover.  And to round out the evening, Jimmy Page (of Led Zeppelin) turned up to play on the encore, with Shake Your Money Maker


I have fallen in love with this band all over again.

Another highlight of last night was meeting up with a few friends we hadn't seen in years - I think me and Jitte were broken last time we saw them!  We also ended up texting a good friend who, like me, had fallen out of love with the band and didn't go last night.  I've not spoken to him in a couple of years, but heard through the grapevine he and his partner had twin girls a couple of months ago in addition to their not quite 2 year old daughter, so we are now organising a little meet-up in Hyde Park next month.

When I was standing listening to the music last night, I felt free almost.  Free of all worries and responsibilities, and like I had been taken back to a time where I didn't have two children, a messy house and a husband who exasperates me.  It felt like no time had gone by at all since I last saw them.

< /musicgeekout >

As a result or all that, I've not been knitting the last couple of days.  It's been a nice break :)  I'll try to update on Saturday with details of Knit Nation - as it turns out I may be home earlier than planned due to having to make an unexpected trip to a currency exchange near Victoria which closes at 5.45!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...